Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Days 2 and three

So things picked up in days two and three... eventually :-P

So it started off with more meet and greet opportunities *fun* lol, nah it wasn't so bad, people were nice... okay so you don't realy want to hear about my boring day so I'll tell you anyway (but quickley) and then we'll get down to the gritty details that are running through my head.

So the meet and greet ended and we picked up our security passes and got assigned lockers (wow is anyone else having flashbacks to the first days of high school???)and it was arround about here that a few of us realised that we had absolutley no idea where we were supposed to be and what we should be doing... I mean I had an assignment but when I went to my timesheet I couldn't find anyone else I could contact... turns out thats because the client I was supposed to be working on doesn't technically start for a few weeks and they just had some odds and ends that needed doing before it starts...

Anyway there was an hour or so there where I couldn't contact anyone because they were all out on assignment so I had to leave messages and send e-mails and try desperatley to find something! anything!... an then - out of nowhere - some random is talking to me on the intra office instant messaging system and I'm sitting there thinking "well someone knows I'm here and is asking me where I am so they can meet..." Okay!

So he sorted me out with some work and we eventually fiuured out what had happened and I've been doing that stuff for the last 2 days.

Now here is the thing... even if I do start liking the work and people (when I move onto a real job with a team and all next week) and the place in general... well its not exactly a healthy lifestyle. I'm not talking here about the foods they eat or the fact that I've been sitting on my ass at a desk staring at a computer all day, I'm talking about the work life balance here...

Now lets get a few things straight here:
  1. its the 'busy season' for auditors so there is a lot of work to be done and deadlines to make and not a heck of a lot of time to do it in
  2. Although as vacationers we are encouraged not to run out the door as soon and the chime strikes 5, I am also not allowed to work longer than my 7.5 alloted hours per day without managers written approval...
So now we can start at the begining...

On my first day in the office, during our morning break I walk into the bathrooms (why do all of my stories end up here???) and overhear 2 of the human resource ladies talking to each other through the cubicals, it went something along the lines of
"Yea, you know I wouldn't mind working 12 hour days if it meant I got the 5th day off"
"yea I think it would be great, three day weekends!!!"

Meanwhile I am sitting there thinking... "its a really strange feeling, this whole going to the toilet with your stockings pulled up" Oh! and!... "12 hour days?! what are they thinking... thats no way to live, and whats the point anyway? All you'll end up doing is sleeping the 5th day and then your left with no social life because your sleeping and no sunlight because your in the office all day"

Its amazing how quickley you can aclimatise to a new situation though, those comments now suddenly make sense... I mean these people are already working 10 to 11 hours a day (one guy on my level was still at work last night at 2 in the morning!!! (I mean is that even productive?). So whats an extra hour if you get an extra day off anyway?

But do I really want to be a part of this? Now thats a question I have to answer...

Until next time,
D.

1 comment:

  1. it's like that at my prac as well! people try to cheat the system. they have hours and they're meant to work 5 days a week... but people try to get around it. as if you'd want to work for 12 hours though! that sounds horrible.

    ReplyDelete