Thursday, November 26, 2009

MS Sydney to Wollongong bike ride 2009

So, as some of you may or may not know, Morpheus (aka Darcy's dad) and I (Darcy) recently (and I use recently loosley) completed the Sydney to Wollongong bike ride for MS. So I thought I'd share a few of my comments throughout the trip with you in a shorified (just thought I'd make up a word there because hey if shakespeare could then why can't I :P) re-enactment of the day... (oh and please forgive the pics taken with my iphone and not edited at all... just because)

For those of you who don't know, this is a map of the course.... its 90km!!!!!! only someone stupid would choose to bike ride for 90km on one of their only Sunday's off during semster (and then back it up with a full days work and an oz tag game the next day) Oh wait! I did that! opps! :P... but it was fun :P...



but thats nothing compared to whats about to come next.... this is  is an elevation map of the same course...


Now really... why did I sgn up for this again??? look at those hills!!!! *eek* I'd point to them and circle them in big red circles if I knew how but as of this very second I can't so you'll have to look and see for yourselves...

But In all seriousness, it was a great day and the hills weren't too bad... for most of the trip... and the weather was perfect, I mean just the right amount of sun with a wind @ our backs the whole way kind of perfect... and the scenery was glorious! So much so that I think I'll do it again next year :P

Anyway, here's your short re-enactment... as seen on my facebook page updates throughout the day...

So we started the day at 6:00, left the house at 6:15 and started the ride at about 7:45.



To start with its great... the ride is capped at 10,000 people all of whom start in a three hour period, so you can imagine that its rather crowded in the begining, until everyone spreads out across the track... anyway its there are all of these people sharing one lane of trafic and many many trafic lights - so you don't really ride faster than 5km an hour for the first 40 minutes :P


Thinks it should b illegal for men to run in speedos... @ Dolls point on the gong ride

Has lost her riding buddies and has reached the loftus morning tea area 

Is off to enter the national park.., wish me luck... And apologies if I'm filling up neones news feeds


At waterfall waiting for dad to catch up...


Lunch!!! woot, after a 3km downhill run that was fun :P. Now its time for a lil' lie down and scenery appreciation...


 And there are the discarded bikes...


And then before we know it were off again...

Made it to the top of the hill without getting off my bike phew!... Waiting for dad again


Omg another hill... They didn't warn us about this one! Sea cliff bridge was awsome and u don't believe I ever really appreciated oranges until now 

(you see they give away free oranges at one point on the course, they are pre-cutt and thrown in cardbord boxes... normally I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole... but this day... I couldn't get enough)



But wait! there's more... by about 3pm we had reached anther of the many recharge sites which up until this point we had been taking great advantage of, we weren't in any rush after all... but by about 3... well lets just say that my butt was starting to show signs of an irriversable imprint of a certain bike seat... and I thought that if I dared get off, there was no chance I'd ever get back on and finish again...




and so we continued on, along the coast...


 Finished! And sleep. (or what really happened... sausage sizzle, golden gaytime ice cream, wait for lift home, slushie on the way home, cook banana choc chip muffins, sleep... whilst Eddie who graciously accompanied mum to pick us up takes my laptop hostage to chat online and most of the room on my bed too... lol)

and thats all for this day...

lots of love

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment