Friday, August 16, 2013

222/365

222/365 by Darcy89
222/365, a photo by Darcy89 on Flickr.

Via Flickr:
So today we (yeah I am just so important I get to use the royal plural today) were playing with and examining the effect of relative light size. I took 4 photos (back to just me again) each using a different lighting modifier but attempting to keep as many of the other variables - such as direction of light, distance from subject and overall average exposure settings constant.

So we got to choose from ceiling reflection, shoot through umbrella, home-made-shoebox soft-box and bare flash.

To be honest, when viewing the different versions on my computer my reactions were constantly oscillating between "can't really see a difference" to "wow the quality of light looks so different" so lets just average it out and say that I was surprised how subtle the lighting differences can appear yet still effectively change the 'mood' of the image created.

Any who, final winner was the shoot through umbrella version, closely followed by the home-made-shoebox soft-box. I'd tell you why but I am still trying to figure that one out... Just gut for the moment.

All four versions are in the comments below and you can find the Strobist(R) lighting tutorials I have been systematically working through here.

3. Size of light source
------------------------------

Lighting details:
Key light: Lumopro LP160 @ ?1/16th? (In my defence I did write it down this time but then promptly lost the scrap piece of paper) through a 40" white shoot through umbrella about 45° above subject to camera left and about 30-40cm away from face.
Rim light: Metz Metz Mecablitz 52 AF-1 @ ?1/8th? Opposite key light and about 1.5m away but shooting at 90° (ie parallel to floor), bare but a piece of cardboard to prevent light spill/lens flare

Much love,
D.

No comments:

Post a Comment