Tuesday, June 11, 2013

146/365 Evil Car Oil

146/365 Evil Car Oil by Darcy89
146/365 Evil Car Oil, a photo by Darcy89 on Flickr.

Via Flickr:
The basic story to this photo is that I had been driving around for about 2 weeks with the oil light flashing and thought maybe it was about time I solved that little issue...

The longer story is that it reminded me of a time about 18 months ago when the same thing happened. The "fill up with oil" light was on. Only, at the time - for some unknown reason because I swear I am usually smart (not the you would know from my posting sometimes) - I thought it was the "fuel low" light. And I knew that couldn't be correct because I had just filled up the tank with petrol and the fuel gage was sitting pretty on full. So obviously the light was broken and I shouldn't worry about it... he... he... he........ :-S

It wasn't until about 2 MONTHS later when I was driving my dad somewhere and he noticed the light that my assumption was corrected.

dad: why is that light on?
me: oh its just the fuel light. I think its broken or something because for the last few months it stays on even when the tank is full.
dad: What? Let me see? Have you taken it to get checked?
me: nah its all good.
dad: DARCY! That is your oil light! Are you telling me you've been driving around with no oil for months?!
me: .... *awkward silence*... ... ... ... maybe...
dad: Sigh. There is oil in the garage at home. Make sure you fill it up AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME.

So I did... about a week later anyway.

And thats a whole other story. Because you see, I thought your supposed to fill up the oil using the hole the dipstick thing goes in... so I found a very tiny funnel thing and somehow managed to balance it in the right place and then managed to aim the oil from a drop of about 75cm into said tiny funnel into dip-stick hole, into car engine... needless to say it took a LOOOOOOOONG time. But at least that meant I didn't Overfill the oil levels... which is what happened the next time my oil went low and I decided to enlist the help of the warehouse manager at work to fill it up.


Me: So WM, do you know where I can take my car to get the oil filled? The oil light flashed. Oh and I'm pretty sure one of the back indicator lights has blown so I might get that fixed too.
WM: Okay you can take it to... *describes some place and sees the perplexed look on my face* You know what, just walk down the road, but this and this and I'll fix it for you.
WM: So its completely empty you say?
Me: Yeah I checked the dip-stick thing, there is nothing in it at all.
WM: Right, in that case lets just put this whole (4 Litre!!!) bottle of oil in shall we? It should be right then.
Me: If you're sure.

Me:.... 6 hours later, driving down Mona Vale road after picking my cousins up from school... *crap it feels like my accelerator isn't working... double crap! there is a heap of black smoke coming out the back of my car... triple crap! Accelerator definitely not working!!!! please please just make it around this corner...*

Turns out my car only takes about 2.4L oil MAX.... I won't deny it. There were tears. Especially when the NRMA guy told me that I could get a tow but they probably couldn't fix it until tomorrow because all the mechanics clock off at 4 and its 3:15 and the tow truck will take at least 30 mins... yup the water works came out... and dad drove all the way across the city for moral support... and the manager at the NRMA service place kindly stayed behind and got his hands dirty to help me out... yeah, that totally happened.

But the good thing is there have been no such dramas this time around :)

Third time lucky right? Phew!

Much love,
D.

No comments:

Post a Comment