Sunday, January 20, 2013

18/365 After the rains

18/365 After the rains

Thursday was another scorching hot day - the hottest on record in fact with the temperature in Sydney reaching 45.8*C compared to the previous high in 1939 of 45.3*C. I'm not complaining, I LOVE the hot weather, especially when I have either air conditioning or nothing productive to do. Today was the former.

Other random facts:
- in the past 107 years this is only the 4th time Sydney has had 2 days of above 40*C temperatures in the same calendar month.
- On average Sydney typically reaches 40*C once every 3 summers.
- For the first time that I can remember, city rail trains stopped working because of the severe heat.

The benefit of heat waves in Sydney is that for the most part they last for 1, max 2 days and then the thunderstorm/cool change comes through. You know even on the most sweltering, clear, cloudless of days that come 4-5-6pm the clouds will be rolling in and respite be on its way... that or there will be just enough rainfall to make the air grossly muggy and impossible to sleep through. However, this isn't the case in all areas of Australia as my sister discovered when she moved to Perth for uni... there they can have the same sweltering heat minus the cool change *shudder*

On this particular day my sister and I happened to be working on the other side of the city which, as I mentioned wasn't too bad during the day because we had air-con however... my car does NOT have air con and were we to drive home straight after work we might have faced a 2 hour+ drive home in 46*C heat (plus whatever magnifying effect being in a fishbowl like car has on the air temperature)... so instead we took refuge at my aunts house and waited until the cool change had come through which also meant t only took 40 mins to get home woot!!!! :-D

So my portraits today were taken at my aunts house with my cousins looking on going wtf is she doing?!?! I just missed taking photos in the heavy downpour that the cool change brought :( so this moment was just after the rains and just before the strong winds swept through.

This is how you cool off after a long days sweat :-)


Rejected 18/365

I don't actually recall taking this shot... it was probably just me making sure my remote would work with the fly screen in the way... in any case I kind of like it, enough to post anyway :)


Yay time for another Suits episode :-D

Much love,
D.

No comments:

Post a Comment