Monday, August 5, 2013

2. Flash DoF testing

2. Flash DoF testing by Darcy89
2. Flash DoF testing, a photo by Darcy89 on Flickr.

Via Flickr:
Did you know that light has a DoF? Neither did I. Then I learnt that that is just another fancy way of talking about the inverse square law which being a high school physics nerd made sooooo much more sense to me :)

Anyway, this is another in the strobist 102 exercises that I am hoping will get me out of the whole "oh shit I don't know what to do with this" mind space and more into the "I know the basics so I can feel free to experiment" mind space.

Basically the idea behind this exercise was to turn a white/light background black/dark. I kind of half achieved the aim but I'm happy with the learning curve :)

In both pictures the flash is set to 1/8th power on a light stand to the left of camera, shutter 1/160th and I am apron 1m away from the wall. The only differences are that in the picture on the left, the flash is about 1m from my face and the aperture f/11, whilst in the picture on the right the flash is about 3m away from my face and aperture f/2.8.

What did I learn most of all? That all of my fudging f-stops and not bothering to learn the standard ratios etc because my camera will tell me all I need to know and I have spare memory to play with is coming back to bite me in the arse. I have some serious math-ing to catch up on :S

Much love,
D

No comments:

Post a Comment