Sunday, February 17, 2013

48/365 Would you talk to me if...


48/365 Would you talk to me if...

I wore this outfit out in public?...

Forgive me if this sounds shallow but today (or at least part of today) was all about first impressions. Or rather it was all about deciding upon an outfit to wear on my first day at a new University. As I mentioned in photo 43/365 it frustrates me that people make snap judgements about others based on the bare minimum of information and fail to acknowledge the complexities inherent in peoples humanity. However, sometimes I just have to deal with the fact that it is part of the real world whilst I can choose whether or not I play the game, the game is being played regardless of my decision and so I am disadvantaged if I choose to ignore it.

I am relatively lucky in this regard; being female, on the shorter side of average height, having curly hair and a cute smile has its advantages in terms of managing not to intimidate people. I find that as long as I am willing to make eye contact with people and smile I can pretty much get away with murder. It does however mean that I can have a tendency to appear much younger than my true age and strangers sometimes think they can take advantage of that.

So the aim of tomorrows outfit is thus:
1. NOT make me look like a 17 year old school leaver
2. Engender respect as I will be meeting with academic advisors
3. Not be so "corporate" that it intimidates the other 17-18 year old school leavers... they will be my class mates after all and I would like to make a few friends.
4. Still be "me"

Outtake 2: 48/365

Do you think I achieved my aims with this outfit?! Would you talk to me if I wore this to my first day of uni?

I am joking of course, the necessity of this task frustrates me so it was almost inevitable that at some point I would feel the impulse to put on the most inappropriate outfit I own (short of lingerie or nothing of course). Call it a sanity safety measure if you will :)

On another note, I have actually worn this outfit in public... twice! Once was the weekend after Halloween, my girlfriends and I drove into town for a charity party hosted by one of my pole dancing friends (FYI pole dancers know how to dress up so a good costume is a must, I went as the Queen of hearts). On this night I was proposed to by a young man across the square on behalf of himself and his two friends. He even went so far as to get down on one knee and beg me! All were polite and good looking so I said yes... and then ran away as fast as I could, but I suppose you could because I didn't know what else to do... so you could say that I am in fact engaged :-S. The other outing was not at a time of year where it is appropriate to be in costume out in public. I had been invited to a friends "Pirates of the Caribbean" party but didn't know anyone else attending so put on my big girl hat and caught public transport into town in full costume... I think I made a few people happy... if I do say so myself :-P

Outtake 1: 48/365

Oops... check out those bruises! No wonder my GP thinks I am in an abusive relationship :S

No comments:

Post a Comment